BTW - This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click the links and make a purchase I may receive a commission from the sale. The great part is that its no extra cost to you AND you're helping our Home and Children. Not a brand, my family. Happy Reading!
I’m going to show you step by step how we made a DIY World Map backdrop out of cardboard and paint! Super Easy project for kids bedroom, party, or in this case another little traveler baby shower DIY
For this project, only 3 materials were needed!
- A large piece of cardboard or poster board ( your preference )
- Paintbrushes and a rag
- 3 paint colors
Apple Barrel is one of my favorite paint types. It covers consistently and gives a vibrant color for any project!
CLICK THE PAINT BOTTLE
TO GET ALL YOUR PAINT COLORS NOW
FOR THIS OR ANY PROJECT!
Start by mixing some white and blue to get the baby blue color – you can always just buy the shade of blue you like to avoid mixing them. CLICK THE LINK ABOVE TO GET YOURS NOW! In this case, I had regular primary blue and wanted to tone it was down for the background.
To save time, add a little water to the paint to make it thinner and pour it over the cardboard. Then use a wet rag to spread the paint and give it a fluid look. Oh, and use a rag or towel you DO NOT care about.
Had we used paintbrushes for this it would have left stroke marks all over and took a lot longer.
The most difficult part of this project was actually drawing out the world map. I took a minimalistic approach to this and used chalk so I could erase… a lot. My main concern was the proportion of each continent. Here are some tips for drawing the World Map.
- Africa is the largest continent. It is smack in the middle. I drew this first to gauge all the others.
- Australia is the smallest continent.
- South America is smaller than Africa and larger than Australia.
Don´t worry too much as long as the sizes are right everything else will fall into place. I’m not an amazing drawler and it took a few different times to get it all to look right.
Painting the continents. We used tan mixed with white for this part because we wanted the detail to be darker than the continents. Feel free to use green or a mix to get the look you want. Paint the continents close to your outline. I left some outline visible so I didn´t lose the shapes.
Now use your regular tan with no white to outline each Continent. Outlining makes them pop and hides any mistakes along the way. It really finishes the look.
The DIY WORLD MAP REVEAL!!!
For a final detail, I hot glued some twine around the border to complete the look.
Things to remember for your next DIY
- If you are painting a large surface add water to your paint to thin it out. It will cover a lot more, spread easier, and save lots of time.
- The proportion of the continents is the most important part. Africa is the largest, Australia the smallest, etc…
- The outline detail is your BEST FRIEND. It covers small mistakes and makes the whole map look clean.
Leave a comment and tell me what you think and check out more DIYS below!